Saturday, January 21, 2012

A Muppet Twofer

Movies: The Muppets, Being Elmo

The Muppets

The things from our childhood and adolescence stay with us. Just this past Christmas, I was at home (or, I should say, my parents' home--but that sounds kinda weird) and I was going through some old books and stuffed animals I loved as a kid. I picked up a stuffed lion--Mickey--and when I felt the security blanket material he was made from, that feeling of total safety and warmth and love washed over me. Pop culture from childhood and our formative years can be the same as picking up an old blankey or teddy bear--they seem to be physically coated with emotions and good vibes.

This, I think, is why The Muppets has been such a raving success. Many of the people most eager to see The Muppets on screen again grew up watching *something* created by Jim Henson: The Muppet Show, Sesame Street, The Dark Crystal...hell, even Muppet Babies counts. And here the Muppets were coming back to the big screen--and collaborating with Jason Segel, Amy Adams, Jack Black, and Jim frickin' Parsons! Talk about filling a theatre with good vibes.

I start this review on a positive, pro-Muppet note because although I enjoyed The Muppets, I feel incredibly guilty that I didn't love the movie. I laughed a lot during the film, but I also had some big issues with it, and I can't say that film lit up my heart the way other movies have. And I think it may be partially due to the fact that, despite watching Sesame Street as a kid, I never saw The Muppet Show until I was a senior in college.


Anyhoo, so I just want to say that I completely respect those who loved The Muppets with the fire of 1,000 suns. I enjoyed the movie as well, and I totally get people's love for it.

But I'm going to be a boner-killer now and say that I was put off by 1) Kermit and Piggy's codependent and possibly abusive relationship and 2) Amy Adams and Jason Segel's weirdly chaste, bizarre, and completely pointless relationship.

On that first point: Ok, I get it. The relationship between Miss Piggy and Kermit has always hinged on the fact that she's more into him then he is into her. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if Kermit identified as asexual. If you think it's weird to ponder a Muppet's sexual identity, consider that Piggy herself is quite obviously a sexual being: she's loves express her flamboyant femininity, as well as kissing, hugging, and chasing down Kermie. She's the Pepe LePew of the Muppets.

However, I was genuinely offended that the filmmakers give Piggy and awesome career working for French Vogue in Paris and then take it all away from her! Kermit tracks Piggy down to ask her to join the rest of the original cast of The Muppet Show in order to raise enough money to save the Muppet Theatre. Piggy turns Kermit down, saying that she has made her own life without him and the other Muppets. Kermit persists and finally Piggy relents.

Ok...I could see Piggy maybe coming back to the show for one final production. Or maybe even staying a while while the rest of the Muppets get back on their feet. But by the end of the movie, Kermit has convinced Miss Piggy to stay on indefinitely!! He even says (and this is line that really got me): "Maybe you don't need the whole world to love you...maybe you just need one person." Oh, that's rich. Screw you, Kermit! I've seen enough of Miss Piggy to know that she DOES need the whole world to love her--that's the point of Miss Piggy! Maybe Piggy loves to be loved and worshipped and desired. Some women need that, Frog. And besides, Kermit has made it abundantly clear that he doesn't feel for her what she feels for him. Dangling the carrot of "love" in front of her to get her to give up her awesome, fascinating career and life in Paris and stay with the Muppets is cruel, to say the least.

I know that Piggy has not always treated Kermit well, even resorting to physical abuse in the past ("hiii-yah!"), so it's not like she's totally innocent here. But the bottom line is that this relationship is never going to work out and the two should just move on and get out of each other's hair. The end.

This brings me to my second beef with the film: Gary (Segel) and Mary (Adams). Gary plays a Muppet-aficionado whose brother, Walter, is actually a Muppet. Gary has a girlfriend, Mary, and the two have been dating for 10 years. Mary wants to get married, but she keeps waiting for the insensitive and clueless Gary to propose. She also lets him make the plans for their big anniversary dinner, which he screws up as well. Ok girl, you've been with this guy for 10 years. Clearly, he's an idiot when it comes to remembering stuff and making plans. I think you may need to relinquish the archaic gender roles for two seconds (you can do it--I saw you repairing a car in that one super-cute scene!) and actually propose to Gary if you want him. Speaking of which, why would you want him? You're one of the most beautiful actresses in Hollywood--you don't need to be with this galoot. Plus, you'd always be playing second-fiddle to a Muppet (his brother Walter). Face facts Mary: Gary is a manchild with an unhealthy attachment to his Muppet brother. And by the looks of it, you don't seem to be too into Muppets yourself. I think this may be a deal breaker.

Now that I've destroyed your childhoods, I want to say again that I really enjoyed The Muppets and I'm probably taking the things that didn't sit well with me too seriously. However, that was my genuine impression of the movie--a fun, joyful experience on the surface, with some subtext that made me uncomfortable underneath.

3.5 out of 5 stars

***

Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey

Being Elmo, on the other hand, was a joy both on the surface and underneath. The documentary tells the story of Kevin Clash, a 51-year-old man who is the puppeteer for Elmo, the beloved perpetually three-year-old monster on Sesame Street. To see Elmo's squeaky voice emerge from a large man is hoot to say the least, but watching Clash/Elmo interact with young children is amazing. And, at times, heartbreaking--such as when a dying toddler gets her wish of meeting Elmo.


Like the documentary Buck, which I saw a few months ago, Being Elmo is inspiring because it is about a person doing the very thing they love the most. Being Elmo traces Clash's career all the way back to his obsession with Muppets (watching them and making them) as a child. Clash eventually got a chance to work with puppets on public access television and, finally, at the Jim Henson studios. Being Elmo is as much about the hard work and years it takes to master a trade or talent as it is about following your dreams. Clash lucked out in many ways, but he also worked hard and asked for what he wanted. This film is shows the true meaning of the American Dream: discovering what makes you tick and making the most of your passions.

Being Elmo strikes all the right chord as a documentary. It's fascinating (getting to see how Muppets are created), emotionally moving (Clash's interactions with kids), and very entertaining (seeing Clash teach other puppeteers and listening to him talk like Elmo). It's a wonderful, fun film that will greatly increase your respect for puppeteers and the work they do.

4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment