Tuesday, April 5, 2011

An Open Letter to The History Channel

TV: History Channel

Dear History Channel,

What happened to you? I feel like I barely recognize you anymore. You used to have such interesting programs: specials about the history of Coney Island, Halloween, sex in the Bible, and Nazis. These days, it seems that there are only two options when I turn you on: American Pickers and Pawn Stars. I don't want to watch Pawn Stars...I want to learn about the history of the mafia and what the pilgrims ate on the Mayflower! I can't be the only one who enjoys the soothing combination of a soft-spoken male narrator and old-timey images appearing on screen. I guess I'll have to watch PBS to get my fix now.



Now, look, I get it. It seems like all TV viewers want anymore is reality shows and to be mindlessly entertained--not to learn anything when they watch TV. Turn on Bravo, TLC, or MTV and you'll be hit with a sea of dumbed-down reality programming aimed at the lowest common denominator. That's a societal problem and we're all complicit. But History Channel--just because the world is changing doesn't mean you have to! It's ok to refuse to budge in the face of changing expectations in the world of pop culture. After all, you're the History Channel! If any channel can remain an unchanging monument to a time past, it's you.

Please, History Channel. I love you and I miss you. Please come back.

Sincerely,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment